Global Marine Program Director
Reports to: Director of Field Operations
Working location: Remote
Our planet is in crisis and inequality affects people around the globe. At GVI, our teams are choosing to take action. We bring a range of specialized skills together for a common goal: supporting a more sustainable future.
GVI is an international, multi-award-winning social enterprise. We offer conservation and community development programs in 13 countries, all aligned to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, and led by our teams and experts from the communities we operate in.
Working at GVI is fast-paced and fun. We value passion, authenticity, and innovation, and we treat our stakeholders with compassion and respect.
About the role
To join us on our journey of growth, learning, and impact, we are looking for an experienced, passionate professional whose strengths lie in global people management and operations.
This person will work remotely and will have the challenging task of overseeing the delivery of our world-leading marine programs in a number of destinations around the globe. They will interact closely with the managers in those regions, to deliver the vision laid out by the team who design our participant experience.
Role and responsibilities:
- Provide input to the GVI Product team as they define the experience for each program for each hub
- Provide the projects, staff, resources, consumables, assets, and infrastructure to deliver the GVI experience as defined by the Product team
- Work with the Director of Field Operations, GVI Product team, and Field Operations teams to address any issues arising from the quality assurance process
- Ensure that all project work generates the maximum possible impact, and is consistent with GVI’s ethical framework
- Program design/review and implementation of all marine and/or conservation-related projects across GVI
- Development and oversight of scientific research programs across marine and/or conservation-related projects
- Ensure that Health and Safety protocols are followed, to ensure the safety of all participants, staff, and other visitors to all GVI sites in their region
- Optimize the commercial and operational structures by which the projects, staff, resources, consumables, assets, and infrastructure are provided
- Ensure successful implementation and reporting of project Impact measurement processes
- Ensure the successful implementation and delivery of marketing and internal communication initiatives
- Prepare for and ensure the successful management of any issues which arise across locations, including on-the-ground management of customer complaints, medical issues, natural disasters, etc
- In conjunction with the People and Field Operations functions, ensure the availability of full- and part-time skilled, fully-trained and motivated field staff to meet the requirements outlined in the field model staffing plan
- Work with the Cape Town team to ensure in-country legal compliance and maintain desired legal status through accurate and timely reporting.
If you are passionate about all things marine conservation, has extensive experience running a dive and/or marine operation, our health and safety focused, and in addition have a great sense of humor, we want to meet you! As an organization, we know that welcoming a broad range of people with unique identities makes us a more powerful workforce, and we are committed to evolving our diversity, equity, and inclusion practice.
Professional skills and experience:
- 5-7+ years experience running a marine operation
- PADI diving qualification (ideally Instructor level)
- Health and safety qualified, with extensive experience managing the health and safety of a dive operation
- Proven track record successfully managing geographically-distributed teams
- Exceptional communication, problem-solving, and time-management skills
- Strong financial management experience
- Strong people and time management skills
- Commitment, drive, and enthusiasm to develop yourself and others
- Hardworking, with the ability to lead and problem solve
- Flexible, open-minded, adaptable team player
Here’s what our global team enjoys:
- Social fund
- Training fund
- Collaborative, flexible culture
- Transparency – hear directly from the CEO consistently
- We laugh a lot, genuinely care about and support each other, and do the occasional dress-up
- Leadership development
- In-house counseling support
- Growth opportunities across our 17 locations!
You can find out more about the type of work GVI does and who we are as an organization here.
Please send your CV along with a cover letter stating why you feel you would be the best candidate for this role.
Please note: We will do our utmost to respond to all applicants, however, given the large volume of applications we receive, this isn’t always possible. If you do not hear back from us within three-four weeks, please take it that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful.